A quick reminder of what not to do at your new pool.
How to be safe around a swimming pool, suggestions include:
- Play it safe. Always walk around the pool and remember to check for others before entering the water.
- Familiarize children with water by taking them to lessons at the local pool.
- Obey the pool’s safety rules and listen to the instructions of qualified adults, and lifeguards. They are there to assist you.
Common causes of injuries in swimming are incorrect technique and poor warm up. They can cause overuse injuries like swimming shoulder, which does not just affect competitive swimmers. Remember to:
- Avoid swimming with a pre-existing illness or injury. If in doubt, talk to a sports medicine professional.
- Always warm up, stretch and cool down.
- Always remember, the pool ladder is not a pommel horse.